Clifton Urethane Adhesive Gluing Instructions
Recommended Safety Precautions
- Work in a well ventilated area (garage or shady area works well)
- Chemical resistant gloves (i.e. Nitrile gloves)
- Organic Fume Respirator is recommended
- Eye protection
- Ideal ambient temperature for gluing: 75°F and below 50% humidity.
- Maximum humidity: Do not try to mix and apply glue if the humidity exceeds 70%.
- Cut patch to extend at least two inches beyond the tear. Round the edges, square cornered patches are more likely to catch and peel than rounded ones.
- Trace the outline of the patch on the damaged surface with a pencil.
- Lightly buff both contact/gluing surfaces, using fine sandpaper, ~ 180-grit, or a roller rasp. Just buff the fabric shine off; don't rasp down to the threads.
- Clean the buffed surfaces with PVC Cleaner (MEK) or other solvent, using a lint free towel. This removes any oils or other contaminants that can interfere with the glue bond. Allow area to dry thoroughly.
- Apply one thin, even coat of adhesive to each surface, using a stiff bristle brush (the 4-ounce can has a brush in the lid). Allow it to dry at least 3-5 minutes.
- Apply another thin coat to each surface.
- Although the material may be bonded while wet, optimum results are achieved when waiting 3-5 minutes before bonding the surfaces together.
- Carefully align the patch and press both surfaces together. Apply pressure to the entire glued surface using a roller. Roll every millimeter of patch in multiple directions, working from the inside to the outside of the patch. This step is important because it forces air bubbles out and helps the two pieces of material bond.
- Use a lint free towel and PVC Cleaner to wipe up excess glue.
- Complete curing time takes approximately 24 hours.
- Be careful when rolling up a repaired boat for storage. Make sure drying is complete.
- Maintenance: We recommend year round use of 303 Protectant for all boating gear. Inflatables can use a coat of 303 in between uses, before storage and while sitting in storage.
Note: Clifton Urethane Adhesive can be mixed with Clifton Hypalon® Accelerator. Addition of the Accelerator doesn’t improve the bond strength but it does make it more chemical and heat resistant. If the bond will be subjected to temperatures greater than 140°F, use of the Accelerator is recommended.